Monday, September 08, 2008

Haiti Hurricane Update and the New Jeruselem Orphanage ~ by Patrice Schwermer

Over the last few days Haiti has been hit hard by Hurricane Gustav and Tropical Storm Hanna. There have been 136 deaths (many more now) and reports of massive flooding throughout the country. And if this is not enough, currently they are being affected by Hurricane Ike. I have received some information on the status of some areas of Haiti following Gustav and Hanna that I would like to share with you.

First, I know that we at St. Elizabeth are concerned and wondering about how New Jeruselem Orphanage is faring. I have sent an email to Pastor Kenold but have not heard back yet...

(Patrice has now received an email response from Pastor Kenold dated Sunday 9/7/08, that reads in part:

"...I can tell you that by the grace of God we are not die; but the water came through my neighbors first and I took all my children away and the water came and move a part in my land away to the sea...

...But around me, all my neighbors are devastated. I am trying to shelter some, but they loose everything they had ..."

Pastor Kenold Chrispin



...Our Diocese has a twinning relationship with the Diocese of Hinche in Haiti. The Diocese of Hinche encompasses the interior part of Haiti and has many parishes. The area of Mirebelais where new Jeruselem is located falls within the boundaries of the Diocese of Hinche. I spoke to Fr. Jacques, the director of CARITAS, Catholic Church's social service agency in Hinche. He told me that in the City of Hinche many of the families had to leave their homes and are at schools or in parish halls. I have attached pictures of the flooded river in Hinche that were taken by a resident of Hinche.

CARITAS is trying to provide resources especially food for these people. I told Fr. Jacques that we are praying for them and will try to help in ways that we are able. If there is any one who would like to donate funds to CARITAS to distribute to the most affected areas of the Diocese of Hinche, you may send checks to me made out to: Catholic Diocese of Richmond, 7800 Carousel Lane, Richmond, VA 23294 and I will send them to Fr. Jacques. There are many agencies providing relief all over Haiti including Catholic Relief Services, http://crs.org/haiti/haitifloods2008/

Thank you for your prayers.

Patrice













~ Photos taken by a resident of Hinche ~

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home