Monday, November 17, 2008

HIV/AIDS Transformation Retreat ~ by Rosemary Overton


I attended the First Time Participant Retreat, September 17-21, at the beautiful, relaxing, peaceful Redemptorist Priests' Holy Family Retreat House in Hampton on the banks of the river.

The retreat was not what I had expected, but I enjoyed it. It was spiritual and fun; but most of all, I learned facts about HIV/AIDS (the virus, the disease) and how individuals accept and live with their diagnosis of HIV/AIDS.

It also made me realize how important it is for people, especially the young and senior citizens to be educated regarding HIV/AIDS. It is a problem most people do not want to talk about, especially in the churches.

St. Elizabeth gave 35 gift toiletry bags to the participants. Wanda Rue felt they were the best of all we have donated. Next year I plan to attend a Return Participant Retreat. If anyone is interested in being a volunteer with the Transformation Retreats or the prison program, see Vivian or me.

I had the opportunity to make a square for this year's quilt in memory of my brother and nephew. I will have a book with a picture of the quilt and retreat grounds in the back of the church for the next couple of Sundays for you to look at.

Thanks to everyone for all your gifts. The next retreat that we will provide gifts for, will probably be June 2009.

Peace and Love,
Rosemary



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home