Monday, March 14, 2011

Reflection on the First Sunday of Lent, 2011 ~ by Phyllis Booth





First Sunday of Lent

Gen 2:7-9; 3:1-7
Ps 51:3-4, 5-6, 12-13, 17
Rom 5:12, 17-19
Mt 4:1-11








On last Wednesday, we received our ashes and thought of ways to keep a good and holy Lent. Lent is only for forty days. I can do this! It's a piece of cake! Taking time for extra prayer, giving up my favorite sweet tooth and putting a little extra in collection... I know I can do this.

Guess what? Sunday rolls around and it's Daylight Saving Time. What a struggle to get to Mass on time. The first hurdle of Lent. The first temptation of the devil. I was able to meet the challenge after recalling the message from the Gospel for March 13th. Jesus met the devil and calmly rejected him. Will I be able to keep the church's expectations for Lent?

After Mass, I had a serious talk with myself. Since Jesus loves me and He died to give me the privilege to have eternal life with Him in Heaven, I should be able to endure forty days in gratitude for the sacrifice He made. I know that I'll not be alone on this journey. Jesus will walk with me if I listen for His voice. Refusing the desire for new things such as CDs, the latest music videos, going out to eat, or buying new jewelry is not doing what I need but satisfying a desire. Jesus refused the chance to own the whole world. This is an opportunity for me to save a little and give back to my parish or give to the New Jerusalem Orphanage.

I need to test my patience and see if I can keep quiet and listen to hear Jesus speak to me after reading a passage from the daily scripture. The Holy Spirit has given me the power to resist the devil and the ability and knowledge to fight any road block he puts in my way. So I will fight the distractions that come my way when reading the Word. This may mean refusing to answer the phone or doorbell, and informing family, friends and neighbors that I'm not available during my time with the Lord.

Giving up sweets will be a challenge. It's a part of hospitality wherever you go. You may think it is easy to avoid, but think a minute how it invades our life. The commercials, the drugstores, gas stations, markets and even the church seem to make sweets their first choice on the menu. If I avoid them, it will benefit my health. My blood pressure will stay normal; my cholesterol number will come into the normal range and I'll lose a couple of pounds. This will please my doctor and I hope Jesus will smile upon me.

Now I'm wondering if I should restate my sacrifice for Lent. Will going to Mass more often and keeping the obligation of going to Confession be a better choice this Lent?

I will try my best to keep Lent holy. I will worship and praise the Lord each day and avoid being tempted with the help of the Lord. I cannot wear sack cloth or roll in ashes as the Israelites did to show sorrow for their sins, but I'll keep Lent as joyful as possible.


~ Public domain image: "Temptation" by James Tissot


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At March 16, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Anonymous Ronnie Archer said...

WONDERFUL ARTICLE..thank you, Ms. Phyllis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home