Saturday, September 03, 2011

Take up your Cross ~ a Reflection on the 22nd Sunday in Ordinary Time



Twenty-Second Sunday in Ordinary Time

Jer 20:7-9
Ps 63:2-6, 8-9
Rom 12:1-2
Mt 16:21-27


It was just last week that we heard how Peter recognized Jesus for who He is: the Christ, the Son of the Living God. But in the Gospel reading today, Matthew describes how Peter becomes a stumbling block for Jesus.

Jesus is trying to prepare his disciples for his coming arrest; and the suffering and death he will have to endure at the hands of the chief priests who are plotting against him. Peter, who had just confessed his belief in Jesus as the Son of God, cannot believe what he is hearing. No, it can't be true! This cannot happen to God's Son!

But Jesus admonishes Peter: "Get behind me, Satan... You are an obstacle to me!" (Mt 16:23)

You can imagine how Peter felt. Perhaps he still believed that Jesus would reign over an earthly kingdom. How could Jesus be subjected to suffering and death and still be the Son of God?

Jesus then explained to his disciples and to us today what it means to be his follower, to be a Christian. We must deny ourselves and take up our own cross for his sake. To live according to his Word. We must expect to be persecuted and to suffer and perhaps, even to die for our faith.

Are we even willing to make such a sacrifice? Jeremiah faced a similar crisis of faith long ago when he decided he could no longer speak the Lord's Word to the people:

"I say to myself, I will not mention him,
I will speak in his name no more.
But then it becomes like fire
burning in my heart...
I grow weary holding it in, I cannot endure it."
(Jer 20:9)

Even though he was being mocked by the people, Jeremiah realizes that God's Word cannot be restrained and thus he must speak.

Paul also recognized what needed to be done as he taught the Christians of Rome,

"... offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God..." (Rom 12:1)

We are not to conform ourselves to the world but to renew ourselves so that we can desire only to do God's Will.

Doing the Will of God is how we become holy and pleasing to Him. The psalmist understood our yearning for the presence of God in our lives as he prayed:

"...you are my God whom I seek;
For you my flesh pines and my soul thirsts...

...your kindness is a greater good than life;
my lips shall glorify you."
(Ps 63:2, 4)


~ Image from Today's Worship

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home