Sunday, May 13, 2007

Finding a Quiet Place

I've been thinking recently about the old-timey Catholic days when I was a kid. That would put it in the late 1930's through the '40's and early '50's. Those too, were the days when Catholic Churches were always open during the day. People could stop by a church and pray for 15 or 20 minutes and then go about their business again. There was no concern that someone would steal anything from the church or that a person might be in danger by being in the church alone. The church was truly a sanctuary in those days.

As we all know, those days are long gone. Most churches are locked up tight now. There is fear in every community; whether inner city or suburb. And it's a pity...

I know as I grow older, I find I would often like to simply sit quietly in a church with my God in the Blessed Sacrament. To have an opportunity to open that door and go in for a few minutes; to be in His presence and listen to what He has to say to me. And have Him listen to what is on my mind too. And often, just to be...

I realize that I can find a quiet place at home and He will be there for me also. But it is simply not the same. Those who have experienced those open churches will know just what I mean.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At May 15, 2007 at 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary Ann, I can relate to this, I remember also how the churches would be unlocked, so sad, that cannot be done now, even though God didn't give us a spirit of fear, I do feel we have to be mindful of the times we live in. I miss those days too.
I remember when I used to take the bulletins over on Fridays, I used to just walk around in the quiet, just being aware that I'm in the house of the Lord. It did seem peaceful.

 
At May 25, 2007 at 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the fellowship of our parish; but I miss the quiet moments of sitting in our pews to reflect and pray. The peacefulness of the church allows me to step away from the busyness of my life and work in society and experience the peace that revives my soul.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home