Monday, January 21, 2008

Behold the Lamb of God ~ by Phyllis Booth

In the first reading today, Isaiah speaks of God's promise to restore Israel to its former glory through a servant of God. This servant will be the one who said, "I will make you a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth."

In 1 Corinthians, the Apostle Paul knew what he was and what he had done. He realized others knew what and who he was also. Therefore Paul preached that his holiness came through someone God had chosen, to bestow the light of God's love upon him. Paul encouraged the church of Corinth to continue to be holy and sanctified, to pass the light of salvation to others who believed in Christ Jesus. This light of holiness has lived through the centuries and the church today is considered holy also.

John the Baptist in today's Gospel reading says twice: "I knew not who he was!" Yet John said when he saw Jesus, "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world. He is the one of whom I said, 'A man is coming after me who ranks ahead of me because he existed before me!'"

Although John was a servant of God, his idea of the Messiah's role wasn't one of a servant. John didn't understand Jesus' mission. Jesus came to free us from the burden of sin. His mission was to help sinners to understand God's desire for all people to live freely and to love God. Jesus came down from heaven to serve; not to be served. As a Christian today, it is my duty to serve others and live a holy life because (God) Christ lives in you and me. Christ living in me causes me to forgive, to love, to share and to serve others.

Do we see the presence of God in ourselves or others? We must recognize God in others and serve them so the light of holiness given at Baptism will continue to shine. When the Spirit of God dwells in us, we recognize God in others and we become the simple and humble servant, carrying out God's promise of salvation.



~ Second Sunday in Ordinary Time ~

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home