Sunday, February 24, 2008

St. E's Stations of the Cross #2 ~ Lent 2008

First Station: Jesus is condemned to death

Jesus prays: Father, in the Garden of Gethsemane, I begged you to let this cup pass from me. But I knew even then that I would accept it and that your will would be my destiny. Pilate has given me over to people who hate me. They cry out for me to be crucified... and I am afraid...


Second Station: Jesus carries his Cross

Jesus prays: Father, help me in this, my final journey. They have crushed a crown of thorns on my head; they have scourged my body; and now they have thrust a heavy cross upon my bleeding back... Father, please give me strength to carry this cross up Calvary Hill. I feel so alone... but I know you are with me. And Father, I forgive them...


Third Station: Jesus falls the first time

Jesus prays: Oh Father, the cross is too heavy. My body is too weak. I can scarcely see what is ahead of me and I have stumbled and fallen. The people are mocking me as they drag me to my feet again... Father, help me...


Fourth Station: Jesus meets his afflicted mother

Jesus and his mother speak: Mother... Mother...
My son, my precious son... If only I could take your place... But I will walk with you... I will never leave you... I love you...


Fifth Station: Simon of Cyrene helps Jesus to carry his Cross

Simon speaks: The soldiers are pushing me toward the cross and are forcing me to help a man carry it. Will they crucify me too? Oh God, behold the man... I recognize him. Truly, he is now a man of sorrows and familiar with suffering. Jesus, I will help you...


Sixth Station: Veronica wipes the face of Jesus

Veronica speaks: What have they done to my Lord? He is like someone from whom people hide their faces. They despise and reject him. My Lord, let me wipe the blood from your face...


Seventh Station: Jesus falls the second time

Jesus prays: Father, give me courage... people are crowding around me... I can scarcely breathe... I am so tired... I stumble and fall hard on the sharp cobblestones... The soldiers are dragging me to my feet once more, because I have no strength left... They will not let me die here...


Eighth Station: Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem

Jesus speaks: Father, the crowd has gotten larger and among the people are many of the women who used to accompany me. Their tears touch my heart. Despite my anguish, I want to comfort them. Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me, but for yourselves and for your children.


Ninth Station: Jesus falls a third time

Jesus prays: Father, I cannot go on... I am sick unto death. I have lost too much blood... The way has become steeper because we are climbing Calvary Hill. Again, I slip on the jagged stones and am crushed to the ground by the weight of the cross... I know the end of my journey is near. Your will is hard, Father, but I put my hope and trust in you. There is nothing else...


Tenth Station: Jesus is stripped of his clothes

Jesus prays: Father, I have reached my destination. Here I stand on Calvary Hill. They have taken my clothes and are casting lots for them. They taunt and revile me in my nakedness. I have been led like a lamb to the slaughter. Soon I will be cut off from the land of the living... Stay near me, Father... I need you...


Eleventh Station: Jesus is nailed to the Cross

Jesus prays: Oh my Father, the pain is so great I can hardly bear it. These hands that have healed your people... These hands that have blessed their children... These hands that have broken the bread and blessed the cup... These hands have almost been split apart by the spikes nailed through them. My feet that have walked in your paths, will do so no more in this life. As the cross is raised, my body is now being dragged down by my weight and I am in agony...


Twelfth Station: Jesus dies on the Cross

Jesus speaks and prays his final words:

Father, forgive them, they don't know what they are doing...

Truly, I tell you, today you will be with me in Paradise...

Woman, here is your son. John, take care of my mother...

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?

I'm so thirsty...

It is finished...

Father, into your hands I commend my spirit...


Thirteenth Station: The body of Jesus is taken down from the Cross

Mary speaks: Be careful... Be gentle with him... John, bring me my son. I want to hold him in my arms one last time... Oh, my precious Jesus...


Fourteenth Station: Jesus is laid in the tomb

Joseph of Arimathea speaks: Mary, I have a tomb already hewn into the rock. We will wrap the body of Jesus in a linen cloth and will lay him there. I will seal the tomb with a large stone so no one can steal his body...


The Father speaks to US: Through his suffering, my servant shall justify many, and their guilt he shall bear. Therefore, I will give him his portion among the great. and he shall divide the spoils with the mighty, because he surrendered himself to death and was counted among the wicked; And he shall take away the sins of many, and win pardon for their offenses. Is 53:11-12

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home