Monday, June 03, 2024

FR. JIM'S JOTS - Trinity Sunday - May 26. 2024

 St. Elizabeth Catholic Church

Trinity Sunday

May 26, 2024


FR. JIM'S JOTS


Greetings!!!

May is a busy month with graduations and Mother's Day.  I give thanks for my 35 years of priesthood celebrated on May 13, 2024, and remember my parents with my birthday on May 31, 1957, wow 67 years old.  Special thanks for your cards of your kind words and thoughts.

I was shocked by the sudden and sad news of the death of Lula Lamb. Lula had just started ushering at the 8:30 Mass and last week she had given me a hard time about starting Mass two minutes early.  Lula will be so missed. When we get details about her funeral Mass and time at St. Elizabeth, Eva will send out an email to all our parishioners. This Monday, May 27, we as a nation, will be honoring Memorial Day.  Lula Lamb and her beloved husband Robert both proud of their military service.  Please pray for our Nation during this time of grave challenges and division.

With Memorial Day and the unofficial start of summer, I have the following books for your Summer Reading; books I have enjoyed.

Henri Nouwen's books: "You Are The Beloved" and "Turn My Mourning Into Dancing." I knew Henri and have such fond memories of when he and I lived at Daybreak together. Please consider reading any of the many Henri Nouwen books. Henri left Harvard, Yale and Notre Dame and moved to Daybreak in Richmond Hill in Ontario, Canada to live and work with persons with disabilities.

Also, consider "Castlecottage" by Amanda Lee Keller, another from Sr. Bridget's in Richmond. It is an easy and fun read about a young woman and her daughter with her aunt in Ireland learning about the gifts of love and life.

"Where The Crawdad's Sing" by Delia Owens is the story of a girl in North Carolina who lost her mother and family. She is called the Marsh Girl. This a story of survival and courage. I enjoy the story of women who don't give up. You may like it too.

"The Vineyard Remains" by Addison McKnight was given to me by a friend who loves New England. The story takes place in Martha's Vineyard and is a murder mystery. I just started reading this book and am hoping that it will remind me of a summer I spent in Cape Cod while I was in college. 

A must-read is our very own Senator Tim Kaine's book "Walk, Ride, Paddle: A Life Outside." This book is like having a personal connection with Tim. One of the greatest things about this book is the depictions of Virginia scenery is like you are traveling throughout our beautiful state. A must read.

Blessings to you and yours,

Fr. Jim, Pastor


- Image Source


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home