Monday, December 18, 2006

Former Parishioners and Friends Respond

Not all our donations were made by strangers; indeed some of the most gratifying letters came from former parishioners and friends who wrote about their connection with St. Elizabeth's. Here are more excerpts from letters so far received:

..."Hope this will help the church where I was baptized 77 years ago. I served Mass there from about age 7-15 and was married there on 4/14/56..."

- - - - - -

..."I grew up in the Northside and have classmates and friends that went to your church..."

- - - - - -

..."You may be interested to know that my Grandfather was the original building contractor on the church..."

- - - - - -

..."My sister and I attended the school and church from 1963 through 1972. My mother, even before that, was a member of the church and was married there along with my sister and aunt also... I'll always have a large amount of gratitude in my heart for your parish. It gave me a wonderful spiritual foundation for the rest of my life, and so many beautiful memories of my childhood..."

- - - - - -

..."My father grew up in St. Elizabeth's Parish and my grandmother attended daily Mass at St. Elizabeth's up until her death in the mid 1970's. St. Elizabeth's brings back many memories of my boyhood too."

- - - - - -

..."I had the pleasure of working with the then Fr. Mike for a number of years in efforts to help the school."

- - - - - -

..."I made my First Holy Communion and I was confirmed at St. Elizabeth's so the sight of the church in the Catholic Virginian was sad. I attended and graduated from St. Elizabeth School in 1972..."

- - - - - -

..."I volunteered one time, years ago, at St. Elizabeth's with the Sisters of Mercy. We met frequently to work on projects for the school children..."

- - - - - -

..."I grew up in Highland Park... I went to school in the convent and watched as St. Elizabeth School was built. After graduating from the 8th grade in 1955, I attended St. Patrick's High School, graduating in 1959. Rev. Thomas Cassidy performed my marriage ceremony at St. Elizabeth Church on Feb. 6, 1960. My father... spent a number of years ~ in his spare time ~ helping to make repairs on the convent, school, church and sometimes, the rectory. Later, he helped at All Saints School... I hope that this check will help 'fill the bucket'..."

- - - - - -

..."God has blessed my family abundantly; therefore, please use this small gift to help repair the church roof. May you return to your worship space quickly..."

- - - - -

..."I am a parishioner of St. Edwards and would like to help with the rebuilding..." (Note by mary ann: We used to twin with St. Edward's)

- - - - - -

..."I am a Catholic in another parish in Richmond. Thank you for being such a vibrant parish that has your priorities right, and is a true witness..."

Labels:

1 Comments:

At December 21, 2006 at 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very grateful to those who have responded to our "cry" for help! It is indeed VERY heartwarming to know that there are people who want to help, some because of sentimental reasons, some because they or family members have had association with St. Elizabeth's in some way, some who have had a similar situation happen at their place of
worship and others just because they sympathize with our cause & want to help..whatever the reason, I thank GOD for working through them because any gift is a help. I had a chance to see the destruction for myself this past week, it is a MESS..I am still also thanking GOD for not allowing it to happen while it was occupied. GOD IS GOOD ALL the time. We will be back there, worshipping in our hall on Christmas Eve & I think it
LOOKS like "CHURCH"..hopefully, we can carry on from here to continue to be a vibrant community.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home